Sunday 29 August 2010

"We Are Sex Bob-Omb And We're Here To Make You Think About Death And Get Sad And Stuff!"



Right, you'll need to watch this on YouTube, it won't let me embed it on here. Just thought I'd save the hassle of copy-and-pasting a link ('Cos I'm nice)

That song right there is one, of many, many reasons you need to go see Scott Pilgrim vs The World. First off, I'll write about the soundtrack for a while. Beck's compositions for Sex Bob-Omb's songs (Scott's band) are good, but in a weird way. It's not that they're so bad, they're good, but they have some kind of hypnotic quality that makes them easier to listen to the third or fourth time round. Garbage Truck is probably the best, because the lyrics are just so random.

Metric, who wrote Black Sheep, the song for The Clash At Demonhead, seen in the video above, has probably the best item on the soundtrack. It's been tweaked for the film, as the actress who plays Envy Adams, Brie Larson, sings on the film version, with the Metric original on the soundtrack CD. I'm not sure which is my favourite, but I'd say the original edges it ever so slightly.

Scott Pilgrim, by Plumtree, the song that started the whole thing, is also rather good, but I've not listened to it enough to describe it properly.

Even the original score, composed by Nigel Godrich, best known as Radiohead's producer, is top-notch. From the moment the retro 90s game-style Universal logo and theme came on screen, I was enthralled. Just from start to finish, the acting, music, effects and game references kept me on the edge of my seat. Just... Wow. What a film. Best of the year, that's it. Better than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Better than Eclipse. Better than Toy Story 3, and that made me cry. Edgar Wright, Bryan Lee O'Malley, thank you.

The cast was such a perfect fit for the film as well, I don't think I could have imagined anyone but Michael Cera as Scott Pilgrim. Mary Elizabeth Winstead finally loses the mantle of "Bruce Willis' daughter in Die Hard 4" and gains "Ramona Flowers." A very good trade. Despite this, in my personal opinion, Kieran Culkin as Wallace Wells stole the show in the majority of the time he was in the film. It's just a shame that he kind of disappears after Evil Ex 4! (Thanks Paul, for bringing that to my attention, I was a bit too into the film to notice!) According to Wiki, he's Macaulay Culkin's brother! Kinda makes sense, now I know his name...

For those that get the reference, I lesbians this film. I lesbians it so much. It is now, in actual fact, my favourite movie ever. I have seen it twice in two days, and plan on seeing it again next week in Dundee!

Away from the film, and onto the books, I bought number four, Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together, on Saturday, and finished it this morning. Turns out, the more I read it, certain characters or events have been changed around, or missed out completely. I'd liked to have seen Knives' dad cut through a bus with a samurai sword in the film. That'd be awesome.

Well I'm off to bed, I still have three seasons of Seinfeld to get through, and they're not going to watch themselves!

Nacht! xxxxxxx

Darren out, saying "I'll take you to the dump, 'cause you're my queeen..."

----------------
Now playing: Sex Bob-omb - Garbage Truck
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

  1. That's new... Have you always signed off with kisses?! ... oh. Hang on. How many are there? ah. I get it now! :D

    ReplyDelete