Sunday 3 October 2010

Simon Le Bon Is A Joke

Friends, I write to you this evening having had my ears well and truly raped by Duran Duran.

Now you might say, tough, Darren, your fault. And you'd be right. Curiosity did indeed kill the cat.

To put my point in context, here is the video to the angriest, and greatest, rap song of all time, Public Enemy's 911 Is A Joke. (Skip the video to about 10 seconds in to get the song. Also, Flavor Flav does the greatest dance in a white suit I've ever seen.) Also, now I can't possibly comment on whether the American emergency services avoid black neighbourhoods, or if 911 is indeed Jokey-Joke Town, so I'll leave it to William Drayton and Carlton Ridenhour to provide the 90s social commentary...



Good, eh? Now watch these. (First one's live, second one's the album version)





Also, as a reference point, Duran Duran's cover album, Thank You, has been voted the worst of all time. And for good reason. There's no need for that to have been recorded. It's like Enya covering Cannibal Corpse, or Bruce Springsteen covering Daft Punk. It just shouldnae be done.

Now here's a good cover, and a fitting segway into my next topic:



So aye, I saw the Manic Street Preachers in Edinburgh last night, and it was magnifico! Setlist ahoy:


Such a good setlist. Shame they didn't play Kevin Carter, a favourite of mine, but hey, I found a few hidden gems, and saw Postcards From A Young Man in a whole new light, I'll need to give it another listen. It really does sound so much better live. Also, I had no idea this was by the Manics! I don't think it'll embed, so just click and watch it on YouTube:



I had heard it so many times before, but never known who it was until last night. All in all, such a top-notch performance by the band last night, couldn't find a fault other than the omission of Kevin Carter.

Here's the last video, I promise!



This afternoon, along with Juno for £3 from HMV, I also bought the album Union, by a band called The Boxer Rebellion, for £2. I have to say I didn't expect much, but wow. Such a great album.

I'm off, have finance questions to look over...

Darren out, saying if you tolerate this, then your children will be next...

No comments:

Post a Comment