Tuesday 21 September 2010

Down Is The New Up - A Review of In Rainbows



Let me start this off by informing you that from now on, whenever I review an album, I'm going to put it in a post on its own, instead of quickly moving onto Scott Pilgrim for the 900th time. I told you, I'm not mentioning it again. You just need to see it for yourself, without any more hassling from me. You don't need it.

And yes, before you say "Oi! In Rainbows was out ages ago!", I am aware of this, but I never gave it a proper listen until this week. I wasn't the person I am today then (musically, I mean, I'm not the Messiah or anything), so when In Rainbows was released, I thought "cool, you can pay what you like for it," and went about my daily business as normal. Which I'm sure consisted of playing the Xbox and doing fuck-all else, since I was at school. And I hated school.

Radiohead, are one of those bands of mine that I'll never stop listening to, even as my musical taste shifts from genre to genre, as it's well-known for doing.

Quick List:

Radiohead
U2
Arcade Fire
LCD Soundsystem
Daft Punk
The Smiths
The Beatles
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Queens of the Stone Age
Bruce Springsteen
and Vampire Weekend.

Basically, what I'm also trying to say, is that from a band that released such AMAZING albums as OK Computer and The Bends, I think that In Rainbows is even better. While albums can be perfectly fine sticking to the same type of sound for every track, In Rainbows has it all. It's taken a massive departure from the synth-laden sounds of Kid A, which I still loved, but it's such a sign that Radiohead's a band that don't just stick, they change their sound, which makes each album fresh, as though you're not just listening to spare songs that didn't make it on the album before.

Sure, the album has its weak points, very few don't - I'll leave you to find out for yourself, leave a comment with suggestions - Nude is the only song which is still pretty good (that most new bands would still probably kill to have written themselves), but something about it didn't sit right with me. That it was one of the singles was disappointing, I would have maybe preferred All I Need, or Down is the New Up, which is actually the finest bonus track I have ever heard, but then again, All I Need would not sell well at all on its own. Bangers and Mash, another bonus track, is probably not in the running order for a good reason. It just sounds a bit too... and it pains me to say this... shite?

That was difficult to do. Let me compose myself for a bit.

All better. Now, TO THE BEST SONG OF THE ALBUM!

...here it is. I present the video of Jigsaw Falling Into Place. Remember the chest rig thing I thought of for Henry Sugar? Yeah, well, it's like the helmet things in the video, but not focusing on their faces. Enjoy!



You're welcome. But before I go, one song deserves a special mention. You almost certainly will find this next paragraph in some way weird. Videotape, the final track, is one of the very few songs that has made me shed a tear. And no, I don't care if you find that funny. Just Thom Yorke and a piano, that's all it takes. I fell asleep to this song last night, and I can tell you it's the best sleep I ever had. You may not feel the same way about it as I do, but I'll say this now. Whatever you may think of the guy as a person, ignore that. Listen to the greatest singer of all time. Better than Buckley.



Darren out, saying this is my way of saying goodbye, 'cause I can't do it face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment