Wednesday 3 November 2010

A Great Song From A Crap Band



I can't believe I'd looked into seeing these guys. My excuse? I'd only heard that one song. And hadn't seen what they looked like.

The Drums' "Let's Go Surfing": Great song, shit band. Bassline had me hooked. And I'm like a fly to bright lights when it comes to songs with whistling in them. I'm ashamed to love this song, for the soon to be mentioned reasons. First off, look at the singer. An hipster twat if there was one. He looks like a tit in that yellow t-shirt. As you may know, I bought a pair of brown corduroy trousers for a Halloween costume last week. I was Fantastic Mr Fox. The point I'm trying to make is that a guy like him would probably wear those cords without a hint of irony. Why H&M decided to mass-produce them I'll never know. It's not just what the band wears that royally pisses me off. Watch this as well.



Now if that's not raping the fantasticity (if that's not already a word, I'm taking credit for it) of Ian Curtis' stage presence, I don't know what is. Also, have a listen on Spotify or whatever to "Book of Stories," and "Forever and ever Amen." If those opening ten seconds in both songs aren't taken from the Joy Division songbook, then... well I've already said I don't know what is. The singer once said this monstrosity of a statement about the album:

“We wanted to sound like Joy Division meets a beach-party record”

He clearly doesn't get Joy Division's music at all. It's not something you'd dream of listening to at a beach party, unless you're a sadist. Trying to combine one of the greatest post-punk bands of all time with the Beach Boys is a recipe for disaster, which on 11 of 12 tracks on the album, it turns out to be. It's like "Ramones meets Dusty Springfield," or "Leona Lewis meets Pantera." Stupid, stupid idea.

Earlier, I said this:


"I can't believe I'd seriously considered seeing these guys. My excuse? I'd only heard that one song. And hadn't seen what they looked like."

Sure, that sounds kind of prejudiced towards bands that look a certain way, but it's my opinion that wearing skinny jeans, and jumping about like a tit doesn't make you any more unique than the next "band" spouting the exact same shite. Thank Christ I'm not in a band or anything. I'd have given up a long time ago by now, I'd imagine. When you see people like Pete Doherty making piles of cash, only to inject it into their bloodstream 10 minutes later without actually making a decent record, it gets pretty annoying, especially when I imagine there are many great bands out there not making any progress because they aren't mainstream enough.

Anyway, rant over, but if you can think of any other great songs from crap bands, leave a comment. It'd be cool to see what you come up with. One hit-wonders don't count.

I'm going to leave you with some lols, hit this link up, and prepare to laugh away:


Darren out, saying Jackie is a punk, Judy is a runt, they both went down to Berlin, joined the Ice Capades...

No comments:

Post a Comment