Sunday 19 September 2010

Scott Pilgrim: The Final Post

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Domestic (USA) Opening Weekend:$10,609,795
Domestic (USA) Total: $30,645,535
Worldwide Total: $41,845,535
Production Budget (After Tax Rebates): $60,000,000

Seriously, has the world gone absolutely crackers? Do I really live in a world where New fucking Moon makes more money in ONE DAY than Scott Pilgrim does in just under a month? (For the record, NM made over $72m in its opening day in the US) I could break down. But what would that solve?

Even though SP was, in my opinion, very well-marketed (you saw each Evil Ex staring down at you for weeks at Cineworld, and with magazine ads and bus-stop posters galore) it's just not made the money that had been expected. Even Universal Pictures called its opening performance "disappointing." I don't know whether it's down to people streaming/downloading it online, ticket prices these days... actually, that's no excuse, people will pay upwards of a tenner to see Resident fucking Evil in 3D, and the fact it opened at No. 1 in the US box office kinda testifies to that, while Scott Pilgrim, at the time of writing, was barely in the top 30. Hopefully it might claw some more money back when it gets released on DVD.

Jesus, the public annoys me sometimes. It's just such a shame that it's very possible that one day, originality and real talent is going to get pushed to the wayside, just because it's not a sure thing. You may as well just show Roland Emmerich and Michael Bay blowing up different world landmarks, while Megan Fox plays with herself in the foreground for an hour and a half. That's what the world might end up coming to.

Also, the fact that the Con-Dem government has abolished the UK Film Council, as a result of George Osborne going all John Rambo on the government's spending, now makes it more difficult to get funding for independent films. Yes, there's going to be other options available, but look at some of the amazing films they've helped finance in the last few years. Goodbye Lenin, In The Loop and This Is England, among others, might not have even been produced to that standard, if at all, were it not for the UKFC. And now it's gone.

It actually makes me want to give up on Henry Sugar, because, and yes, I know theres was a risk anyway, but there's an even bigger chance now that the thing I've worked on for so long might never be made the way I want it to, because it'll be so difficult to get proper funding. You never know, things might change, but it just worries me sometimes. Unnecessarily, sure, it's not the end of the world, but when I want a career in the media more than anything, it's harrowing to see funding for projects cut left right and centre, it really is. At least I rewrote my opening credit sequence yesterday, and I love what I've done. That does give me some form of a boost, I guess.

Sorry for possibly bumming you out, but it's the truth. The British film industry is hardly fit to compete with Hollywood as it is, and getting rid of one of the major sources of funding for independent productions is going to make it even worse.

Darren out, saying the last one to leave, turn off the light on your way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment