Monday 30 November 2009

A Celebration of a Decade of Musical Discovery

As 2009, and The Noughties, draw to a close, I'm left considering what albums over the last 10 years deserve the accolade of being called "The Best." After buying Q's Artists of the Century issue for the interviews with Robert Plant, U2, Brandon Flowers and the green guy from Gorillaz, I was appalled to discover that Amy Winehouse's Back To Black was voted Number 1! Just because the leader of the Lib Dems and Tom Jones say it is, doesn't make it true! In order to combat this abomination, I'm going to provide my own list, and if you agree/disagree in any way, let me know! As long as you don't try to discount my opinion, I won't force mine upon you. This is the entire point of my list, that everyone has their own opinion, and I'm just letting you know what mine is.

Here we go! This list is alphabetical order, it's too difficult to choose a Number 1:

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (2007)
Arctic Monkeys - Humbug (2009)
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising (2002)
Daft Punk - Alive 2007 (2007)
The Killers - Sam's Town (2006)
Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak (2004)
Noel Gallagher - The Dreams We Have As Children (2009, but recorded in 2007)
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf (2002)
The Strokes - Is This It (2001)
Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures (2009)

2 of these albums are live, so I'm not sure if they'd count, so if not, I'd replace them with U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (2004) and Kasabian's West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum (2009).

My favourite compilation album is a toss-up between Morrissey's Greatest Hits or the soundtrack album to (500) Days of Summer, the best movie soundtrack by a country mile.

Well I hope you like the list, and the main thing is it gets you thinking about your own! I love nothing more than sitting and listening to an album from start to finish. Once I finish The Strokes, I think Sgt. Pepper needs another listen!

Also, with festival announcements already underway, I'm now in the middle of a battle to rustle up money to get a ticket for Isle of Wight next year. The Strokes, Jay-Z, Blondie and Pink have already been announced, and I bet you can guess who I'm most looking forward to! Wish me luck!

Darren out, saying you stay classy... Planet Earth!

No comments:

Post a Comment