Thursday 22 July 2010

Can I Break The Spell... Of The Typical?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XVWR-5fiG0

Those nasty people at Warner Bros. Music won't let me embed the top quality version, so copy and paste away, but here's a decent version of the same video!



I love this song. It's just so easy to listen to, the video is very well done (lip-synching an entire song would be a nightmare in one take), and I love the lyrics. It also appeals to me personally, since I feel like I'm getting stuck in a bit of a rut here.

I haven't written a line of Henry Sugar since May. (I also think I've lost the pages. stupid me ripping them out, they're most likely in the bin.) I've just checked. They're gone. Awesome. I had also started to jot down ideas for a short story called Maple Terrace, about diamond thieves using an underground system to escape the police, although I just wasn't motivated to do it. I actually have some really good ideas for both, but I just can't be bothered to write them down.

Although as of tomorrow, all is changing. I'm going straight and choosing life. Seriously though, I'm making some big changes.

First off, I can do the Truffle Shuffle. Something has to be done about that.

Second, I love music but can't play any myself, which is why I'm buying a bass guitar as soon as money permits. Just playing Beatles Rock Band at Paul's really isn't enough.

Third, I'm going to make more of an effort when it comes to going out. Money shouldn't be a reason not to do something, there are always other things to do.

Fourth, I want to see more of my friends while during term time. Stirling, Dundee and Glasgow really aren't that far away. We haven't made a huge effort before, but that's hopefully going to change. No excuses!

Fifth, Sort out my DVD collection. The fact they're not in order, as crazy as it sounds, is killing me. My live DVDs and TV boxsets are sorted, so it's just the films. But there's a fair few I don't have, because other people have them, so that can wait a while.

Sixth (This is a 10-point plan), I don't know anyone at all from my uni course. Just turning up to lectures and going home again is daft. Not having Graeme in most of my classes next year means I actually need to start talking to people, and that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Seventh, I'm just going to get fitter in general. Stirling Uni has a pretty cheap gym, and since I'm planning to be there more often anyway, I may as well make of the most of the stuff that's there!

Eighth, I'm going to finally decide what I want to do after I finish my course, and start looking into how I go about doing it.

Ninth, I'm going to go to the cinema more often. I usually wait till films come out on DVD or just watch them online, but it's really not the same as seeing them on the big screen. Scott Pilgrim vs The World won't watch itself.

And finally, Tenth. I'm going to leave this one blank. Because I never know when there's going to be something I need to do.

And in order to start to fulfil point 4, I'm in the process of arranging the five of us to go camping in Callander. I had planned to do it for my birthday, but we were never all available at the same time. So now that we are, I'm not hesitating in getting the ball rolling and actually doing something about it!

In other (way overdue) music news, Muse's cover of Where The Streets Have No Name, with The Edge guesting on guitar, is probably one the best covers I've ever heard. Muse have had a great history of covers for me, since they recorded The Smiths' Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want, and The Animals' House of the Rising Sun. This just adds to my list of favourite covers.



Also, on lookalike business, doesn't STV News' John Mackay look like the poor man's Alec Baldwin?
























Darren out, saying I know there's got to be another level!

----------------
Now playing: MuteMath - Typical
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

  1. Awesome blog (H)
    I like mutemath! Never heard of them before
    I fully support Callander! Let's go f**ckin mental (etc)
    And don't you just want to be jack donaghy?!?! Please tell me you've seen the episode with Bitch Hunter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whos thaaaat? ^^^

    anyway, loved this blog! btw in accordance with number 9, might i suggest you look into the cineworld deal thing. its like you pay £20 a month and can go an unlimited amount of times, so youd only need to go like 3 times a month to get the benefit. however its like a direct debit thing so i guess the downside is always having that coming out your bank.

    i too am going to make a fresh start this semester, gonna try and be a bit more positive. i look so much happier in those NB pics than i feel right now. so instead of sulking, i should just make good times :D

    im also with you on the getting fit thing, its just so much effort though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach, judging by the 30 Rock reference, that would be a certain Mr Paul Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'maple terrace'; now there's a blast from the past. was never a patch on 'v for communism'.

    ReplyDelete