Thursday 22 July 2010

Men Who Hate Women...

...is the original Swedish title for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the best thing to come from Sweden since IKEA. After reading the books, I had wanted to go and see the adaptation, and because I had just missed it, had to wait until the BD came out yesterday And having finished it this morning, it's safe to say it's among the best book to film adaptations I've seen, and I have seen a fair few. Aye, sure, an entire subplot or two gets cut, but they're not vital and would probably do more harm than good, were they actually in the film. It's over two and a half hours, so to be honest, I reckon it'd add a fair bit to an already very long film.

I'm still unconvinced by the impending remake in 2012 though, even if it's going to be directed by David Fincher. The guy's fantastic, see Zodiac and Fight Club for prime examples, but I've always been against remakes, and it's very rarely that they work out. It's just an easy way for studios to make money by building on an already successful film and just squeeze out as much money as possible from it. Michael Haneke directed a film called Funny Games a few years ago, and last year, made an almost shot-for-shot remake in English. Sure, he'll have his own artistic reason behind it, but is watching a film with subtitles really so bloody hard? I do it anyway, even if the film's in English (force of habit), but I love watching foreign films. Oldboy, The Lives of Others, Goodbye Lenin, A Prophet, The Baader Meinhof Complex and JCVD are all in other languages, and having to read from subtitles doesn't detract from the film at all. If anything, it makes you pay more attention to it. Plus, watching a film that's been dubbed into English annoys me, mainly because it's just weird to see.

And away from rantsville and on to happier reports that I'm right back into Arcade Fire again. Since I usually listen certain types of music at one point and pretty much ignore everything else on my iPod, it's only been a week or so since Arcade Fire held that position, and they're back again. Quite rightly too, since they're... aye, I'll say it. The best band of the last 10 years. The new album's out a week on Monday, so I recommend you get it. From the songs I've heard, with The Suburbs being my favourite, it's going to be just as good as the first two albums, which is a very tall order!



Also, I've been listening to my records again after a few weeks away. I don't know why exactly, but I just feel better listening to the crackle, when I put the needle onto the vinyl. Maybe it's because I know what's coming after. Spending nearly £20 on Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures was totally worth it...

Darren out, saying I've been looking for a guide to come and take me by the hand...

----------------
Now playing: Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment