Thursday 1 July 2010

The Month Of June: Highs, Lows, Tunks, A Turntable And A 67p Profit

First off, after 2 months of not writing a word, apologies for not stuffing the Internet full of crap earlier... Well I'm back now, and before I head off to an Internet-free flat in Dundee for 2 weeks, I'll go over some shizz while I can!

If you weren't aware already, I was in London twice last month, seeing two of the greatest bands around today - Rage Against The Machine (Sunday 6th) and Pearl Jam (Friday 25th). My God, Rage was awesome. The crowd were fantastic, if not especially cramped together: trying to escape the crush earned myself an elbow in the face, so you win some, you lose some. Even the support was rather nifty, Gogol Bordello, the self-styled "gypsy punks" put on almost as good a show as Rage, and even Roots Manuva, fair play to him, was one of the very few acceptable rappers. The DJs in between Roots and Gogol though, horrific. Bottled off stage. Good riddance.

Rage covered The Clash, which was impressive, if not surprising, and their set was packed with the favourites and a couple of unexpected songs, Township Rebellion being one. At least his speech about those naughty characters in Israel was pretty short and sweet - more time for the moshin'! (Sorry, I couldn't resist. I wouldn't actually seriously say that...)

Rage Against the Machine Concert Setlist at Finsbury Park, London on June 6, 2010 | setlist.fm

In between both trips, Asda came to occupy most of my time, while having to lug boxes on my days off. The reward was entirely worth it, mind you...

Pearl Jam was probably the second best gig I've ever seen in my life - nothing will ever top Springsteen - but they came damn close. They didn't cover The Beatles, but Pink Floyd will do!

Pearl Jam Concert Setlist at Hard Rock Calling, London on June 25, 2010 | setlist.fm





Oh yeah, I also went to Abbey Road, got to walk on the crossing. Beastin'. (That I DID mean to say)

For the trip, and everything else, hefty grateful. Ta, K.

What did suck though, is that the week before London/Birthday, my mum and dad split up. Wasn't easy to deal with, and it was tough at first, but I'll over it now, and I'll live, always do.

And now to happier points - My 19th! Kirstie, Rachael, Paul, Calum, Caz, Sarah, Kev, Graham and Claire, cheers for an awesome night of drinks, questionable music and minor gambling - I won 67p! Upon my return back home, I got DJ Hero from my mum and dad. So much fun, by the way, if you can live with looking like an utter dick for 5 minutes at a time.

Also, I bought the Kick-Ass comic book while I was in Fundee, and I urge you all to read it, and also start to use the word "TUNK." It's the male equivalent of the C-word. Slip it in conversation, spread the word...

So that's June out of the way, and I leave you with the promise of more frequent writing.

Darren out, saying anybody can be cool, but awesome takes practice...

----------------
Now playing: Radiohead - Just
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

  1. just thought id give your blog a wee read as i havent in a while. still love those abbey road pics - mega jealous.

    sorry bout your parents, i never knew, hope youre alright and keeping your chin up.

    and about your birthday, i felt bad afterwards just handing you a tenner. it was intended for you to gamble (in my head it was gonna be a mental night of gambling hundreds!) so that is why it wasnt very creative. still if it can help towards your grouchos/dusty old comic book store fund then i guess it was ideal :p

    but ja, paul was saying you wanted to see toy story 3?

    ReplyDelete