Wednesday 9 December 2009

Joy. Discovery. Revenge of the Sith

So I finally managed to acquire gig tickets of some form today! On Thursday, 29th April, I'll be in Perth, to see Biffy Clyro! Joining Team Biffy has it's advantages (PRESALE!!!) so I'd recommend doing it if you're planning on going to their only Scottish date of the tour. So as you may well know, I've gone from getting tickets to Isle of Wight, to Rockness, to holding out for a Metallica gig in Scotland, to getting tickets to see Biffy! I'd say it's a downward, yet pretty goddamn awesome spiral!

So obviously, I had to start re-acquainting myself with their earlier stuff, because I've not listened to anything other than Only Revolutions since it came out, and having so far listened to Blackened Sky, I'm remembering just why I love them. Another thing I love doing more than anything else is listening to all of a band's albums, and seeing just how they progress from album to album. The Beatles obviously being a prime example, having gone from the strict 3-minute pop song to the calm of Here Comes The Sun, by way of Tomorrow Never Knows, Eleanor Rigby and A Day In The Life. Fucking love The Beatles... Other good examples are Pearl Jam (a so-called "corporate cash-in" to grunge pioneers), Blur, Nirvana (low-fi garage-punk to an insight of a man whose state of mind is really in trouble) and Kasabian (from near enough Oasis clones, good as they were, to a tremendous band in their own right)

Yeah, so the Star Wars reference in the title? I capped off my 4-film Star Wars marathon (Don't have Episodes 1 and 2) and was noticing all the way through Revenge of the Sith that it was THIS ( <--> ) close, (yeah, that's pretty close) to becoming a brainless action movie. At multiple points throughout the film, I could imagine somebody saying the word "motherfucker" just before a fight, and take this for an example:

Yoda blocking Palpatine from leaving his office: "If so powerful, you are, why leave?"

Here's how it could/SHOULD have been:

"If so powerful, you are, why leave, MOTHERFUCKER?!"

Since George Lucas is always making changes to his films (HAN SHOT FIRST, by the way!) I'd like to see a 15-rated edit of the saga with all the obvious moments where swearing should have been left intact.

Just imagine Chris Tucker doing the voice of Yoda (the guy in Rush Hour that isn't Jackie Chan), and you'll hate me forever.

Darren out, saying thejediwhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow.

----------------
Now playing: Biffy Clyro - Wave Upon Wave Upon Wave
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment