Saturday 12 December 2009

Well, They Blew Up The Chickenman In Philly Last Night...

Ladies and gentlemen, I have an amendment to make. On a previous Facebook comment, I listed my 10 favourite albums of all time. Today I would like to change that list.

Here is the original, for those who hadn't seen it before:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Blur - 13
Daft Punk - Alive 2007
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
Pearl Jam - Ten
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
U2 - The Joshua Tree

I'd like to hereby remove Simon & Garfunkel's Bookends from the list, as difficult a decision this is to make, and I'm going to replace it with Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska. For those that haven't heard it, it's a collection of demos he recorded in his bedroom. It was later recorded with the E Street Band, but the original demos were released because they apparently sounded far better. I like the fact that it was entirely recorded by himself, in one room, with a 4-track recorder, and I can imagine it well. It's a rewarding experience listening to it straight through, and I for some unexplainable reason feel like a better person for having listened to it. Only Sgt. Pepper and Jeff Buckley's Grace have made me feel the same way after the first listen.

Therefore, it's fair to say I love listening to albums straight through...

Darren out, saying "if I hadn't had music in my life, it's quite possible I'd be dead. And I'd much rather be alive."

----------------
Now playing: Bruce Springsteen - Highway Patrolman
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment