Tuesday 15 December 2009

X Factor? Shit Factor, More Like...

Yes, today I'm going to rant about that blatant cash-in of a TV show headed by the Antichrist himself (who's probably going to end up knighted next year), Simon Cowell and his band of merry idiots. Louis just looks like a garden gnome with a bowtie (at least he did in the 10 minutes I saw of the final on Sunday), Dannii's probably there because the producers couldn't afford the well known Minogue, and Cheryl's more than likely there to plug her own album, which I'm sure she did at least once.

Many people who know me will already be aware of my hatred of TV talent shows, and I believe I'm justified in this. Other than Will Young or Leona Lewis, name one more winner of the X Factor or Pop Idol who's had a career beyond their first album. No? Thought not.

Michelle McManus - (Sometimes) Hosts The Hour on STV. Daytime TV - Woo!
Steve Brookstein - Playing on cruise ships and Pizza Express restaurants is not impressive.
Shayne Ward - Who?
Leon Jackson - Having your album sold for 50p in an Asda bargain bin is not a sign of success.
Alexandra Burke - Only just released an album, but I don't reckon she'll last.
Joe Whatsisname - Starting your recording career with a Miley Cyrus cover puts you straight in the High School Musical market. Go you...

So aye, I'm not a fan. I think it's just a way for people who are too lazy to go out and get their own gigs and work towards something to get themselves on TV. Fair enough, there may be exceptions, but not enough to make the competition, and the winners, credible artists. And no, I'm not just having a crusade against pop music, Orange UnsignedAct was just as bad, with shitty NME bands thinking just because they look a wee bit like The Libertines (who to be honest aren't all that good), and play to a decent level, that they should just be handed a record deal, no questions asked. Just WORK HARD, and you'll eventually get there, and it'll feel that much better, knowing that you actually deserved it.

Also, I had set myself a challenge on Sunday, which was to go as long as possible without knowing who had actually won the X Factor. I lasted 10 minutes, thanks to some random on facebook giving her congratulations to someone who she's never met and who probably wouldn't like her anyway. RAGE...

And speaking of Rage, as of this morning, it appears Rage Against The Machine are beating Joe Whosywhatsit in the charts. Good news for anyone with good taste, musical sense or an interest in the world not going to hell in a handbasket...

Darren out, saying fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!

1 comment: